Road Trip - Day 8 & 9

Day 8:
Today was kind of an off day for us, if you discount the 250 odd miles we drove from Sheridan in Wyoming to another small town / city called Sturgis in South Dakota. Sturgis apparently is a biker's pilgrimage center with the annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally being held in August every year.

Today I touched 110 MPH... Got Arun K. all excited, though he is more of a curves person (I'm talking about roads here). I prefer the freeways.

Day 9:
Day 9 started with us driving from Sturgis to the Black Hills region of South Dakota, particularly to Mt. Rushmore. But even before we reached there, we had lunch at an Indian Store / Restaurant somewhere in South Dakota. I still have to figure out if it was a store or a restaurant, cause the menu was pretty limited and so were the items on the shelf, but you can't be too picky about food when on a road trip.

At Mount Rushmore, it was wonderful to see the faces of Washington, Jefferson, Roosevelt & Lincoln carved out of the mountain cliffs. Initially they had planned to carve the figures up to the waist, but the project had to be stopped midway due to lack of funds. And I thought that happened only on IT Projects.

After some quick snaps and some souvenirs shopping, we were on our way to Chicago. We drove over 400 miles to Fairmont in Minnesota where we will camp for the night. As the day ends, 2 sign boards that I saw on the route stands out in my memory -
Sign Board 1 - "Watch Out For Low Flying Air-crafts"... Wow, that one, I have never seen before.
Sign Board 2 - "We do Cows here, catalog available"... That one I'm sure was an ad for a Vet Clinic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SriNilayam - The Crucible That Shaped My Destiny

Road Trip - Day 3

Reflections Of India Trip - 2016