SriNilayam - The Crucible That Shaped My Destiny

We are the only beings on the planet that carry memories of events from the past inside us and allow ourselves to be enriched by these events. Events do not shape us, but it is the way we interpret these events in life that influence us on how we react in the future.

Have you ever felt like one event or one phase of your life has left a profound influence on the rest of your life and has acted as a rudder for the rest of your journey? I bet most of you have felt that one time or the other...

I am no exception to that, but mine was a period of 21 years that molded my attitude and outlook towards life. Was all of it pleasant? No, of course not, but I do tend to carry only the pleasant ones with me.

As I stand and peel away through the layers of my life, I come to a stop  in the year 1983. That is as far back as I seem to remember.

I was 10 years old and Kapil's Mavericks won the Prudential World Cup that year. I see a 10 year old boy standing in the balcony trying to listen to the sounds of the television commentary from the neighbor's home. We still did not have a TV at home then. Each time a Windies wicket fell, a huge cheer would go up and people would come running to their balconies to cheer with each other. It finally reached a crescendo when Jimmy Amarnath trapped Holding LBW and raised his hands to the heavens.

I started playing cricket around that time too. Partly influenced by the world cup victory for sure, but mainly because just prior to that I had fallen from the water tank and smashed my head onto the concrete below and ended up with 12 stitches to my eyebrow. So the older guys in the building decided to put an end to our tree climbing and water tank exploring days and included us in their daily game of cricket @Srinilayam, to keep us out of mischief.

So Me, Jayaram, Bada Nandu and Harish were "Kachcha Limbus" (The Unripe Lemons) - An apt term for annoying 10 year olds. We had to field at forward short leg or silly point, where it was initiation by fire. It would also ensure that you were always paying attention.
We would get to bat if the rest of our team got out earlier than the quota of overs. We not be allowed to bowl for a few more years. Everyone had to earn their spots and stripes.

My earliest memory of playing cricket @Srinilayam was about getting to bat for the first time. The bat was a big one and reached my chest when I held it to the ground. So holding it was difficult letting alone being able to lift it. But then there were no kid sized bats back then for us. Even 2 bats among all of us was a luxury.

So here I am standing at the crease and I distinctly remember Aju (Flat No 14) bowling to me. The ball hit me on the arm even before I could lift the bat. So I told him that he was bowling too fast and I could not play it. He was annoyed at my insinuations and he asked me if I thought that one was fast, what did I think about the next one he bowled. The next one was faster and it hit me in my stomach, again before I could lift the bat. I had tears in my eyes and winced in pain, but was angry too. The next ball he bowled I just swung the bat at it and the ball whizzed past his ears and went to the boundary.

First lesson Learnt - You are not ENTITLED to anything in this world; You WANT it you GO GET it and Stop Complaining!!

We had at least 12-15 people play everyday and each one of them had their own styles, attitude and temperament towards the game:

Sriram - The left-handed dasher, who would be half way (literally) down the pitch before you released the ball and by the time you blinked the ball would be past you.

Ashish - The pleasant batsman who believed in placing the ball rather than hitting it, but he could definitely hit when he wanted. He had an odd stance and would give you an impression that he was about to fall over. He could gauge the length and line of the ball very very early and would be in position to play the shot almost as soon as it left your hand.


Anand - Mr. Dependable. Technically correct to a fault and almost impossible to get him out. If he played a wrong shot, he would be terribly annoyed at himself. He got the maximum Declared Innings @Srinilayam. He was the pillar of the Srinilayam innings when we played against other teams. If you got him out, keep the ball, cause that didn't happen often.


Rajesh - He was the chipper & scooper (lifting over the fielder's reach). Finding gaps on the ground and in the air was his specialty. Naturally gifted at any game that he played. He was a super fielder - soft hands and quick reflexes. He invented the ricochet shot off the walls and played it to perfection.


Aju (Flat 23) - Super leg spinner, the best I have played in the building. Aggressive and hated to lose and would do whatever it takes to win.


Bada Nandu - Elegant like Ravi Shashtri, the academic and the athlete. An absolutely fierce competitor and a super batsman. Would not give an inch. I personally believe he kept track of his scores for every season.


Harish - The best user of conditions or should I say the "Cracks In The Concrete" :-) His  bowling was virtually  unplayable. The ball would pitch on the cracks and would do all kinds of weird stuff like scoot along the ground or dart in sharply. It was absolutely frustrating to see the stumps destroyed when you figured that you had the line covered.


Chota Nandu - The best timer of the ball I have ever seen. I remember bowling him, a short ball followed by a full decent in-swinger, only to see him play a stroke, that by any means I would only call as a tap. The ball sailed over my head and onto the terrace of adjoining building. That probably would have been a six even in Melbourne. He was an awesome fielder too. A very good fast bowler at overarm cricket.


Chota Arun - Absolutely the fiercest competitor in terms of sheer tenacity and the best team player I have ever played with. Technically sound, innovative and the first one to find a defense against Harish's tactics. Super bowler who could bowl leg spin, off spin, fast medium etc etc.. and would never give up till the last ball is bowled. 


The underlying factor here was the sheer tenacity and single minded focus on winning while enjoying what you did. The approach was different, the end goal was the same.

I have observed these guys and learnt from them on how to be strong, unflinching and never to be overawed by any situation. They were strong characters and yet never judgmental about anyone. They would never kick anyone when he was down. They were always ready for a debate, but good human beings and perfect version of themselves. They were they, unlike anyone...

I remember the summer vacations when even during the scorching Mumbai summers, some of these guys would be out there playing on the hot concrete surface. Scratches did not matter and bruises were meant to be ignored. I remember playing with a bandaged palm that I had fractured while going for a run. Could not bat, but could keep wickets as the bandage formed a good glove.

Second Lesson Learnt - You may lose to circumstances every once in a while, but on your way down to the mat, plan on how to get back up again. Anyone who has conquered the world bear a few deep scars. But in the end it will be worth it.

There was a time when they wanted to stop us from playing cricket within the building premises. We all stuck together as one and made our displeasure very evident. There were numerous fights and arguments. We probably did not realize then that we were always fighting a losing battle, but that did not matter. We stuck together till incidents reached the police station. 
Eventually we had to stop playing, but then we delayed the inevitable long enough to form indelible memories and long enough for it to mold our character. That we were strong characters was never in doubt, but we were amiable too, cause the people from the surrounding buildings always came to Srinilayam to hang out. There was never a dull moment @Srinilayam.

Third Lesson LearntA team always beats the odds. It is always a group of guys who give themselves to a cause, that leave an everlasting impression and more times than not - They Will Go On To Be Victorious!

There have been numerous lessons in the course of 21 years and they have influenced my experiences and decisions over the next 20 years. When I turn back and look, I have not done too bad and there is nothing that I would change if I have to do it all over again.

Most people from Srinilayam are doing very well in life too, never mind whether they were academically good or not. We have people in most continents (3 Corners of USA, Canada, UK, Middle East, South Africa, Australia, Hong Kong and many corners of India) except probably South America, but then who goes to South America!!

May you leave your footprints across the globe and may your stories be spoken about for times to come. May the common strand that we share hold these stories together.

Every memory, every moment that I have lived, I have left a part of me behind. I have carried a part of you in my heart as I held my life by the arm and as I looked over my shoulder to see my footprints fade away in the sands of time.

Comments

AK said…
Nice one .. i think we should start a wiki page where all of us can write some notes about our experiences

Popular posts from this blog

Road Trip - Day 3

Reflections Of India Trip - 2016